Thursday, February 21, 2013
Non-Scale Victories Linkup: 2
As a trainer I have helped many people reach many weight loss goals. However, some of my most loved memories have nothing to do with weight loss. I always felt the most amount of success when I was able to get clients to love a new activity, start overcoming their negative emotions surrounding food, and focus on the positive.
As a mom and a trainer, I obviously love both my children and fitness. This week my non-scale victory is getting my son involved in my exercise program. My son is 8 years old and has autism. He would love nothing more than to watch T.V and play video games all day. In an effort to both reinforce exercise as fun and to spend quality time with him, I got him to ride his scooter beside me as I go on a nightly walk. While this might sound easy, it does come with its challenges. My son has a very short and very focused attention span. For example, I can tell him to stay at the side of the road but he will only do this for maybe 5 min before he forgets. On the other hand, he may get super focused on the spinning wheel in front of him and not look away from it. Additionally, he has balance issues and falls over a lot. Despite the challenges he faces, I know that he will get better and better at it; but only if he keeps doing it. Although it would be much easier to just go by myself and have some quite time, I am grateful for the opportunity to plant seeds and spend some alone time with him.
Labels:
Fitness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I like your M&M treat idea! I love peanut M&Ms (all sweets actually)! What a great way to spend time with your son. I bet he loves it! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteTheresa
I am stopping in from the link-up, that's so awesome to get your son involved! Awesome NSV!!
ReplyDeleteHi from the NSV link up. Love your NSV!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so great that you get your son involved! It really is awesome that you do that! Thanks so much for linking up :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great NSV with your son!
ReplyDelete